August 25, 2015

Response to specific date functionality question

I've received some great feedback from the Tableau community regarding my blog post about How to default your Tableau dashboard to yesterday (quadrupled my Total Site Pageviews!) so I thought I would answer a question that I received on Linkedin about a specific date functionality: 


I was able to achieve this with 4 parameters and 1 calculation, which is based on my previous blog post. 




Step 1: Create 4 parameters using the following settings:








Step 2: Create the Date Selection Parameter Calculation



Step 3: If necessary, convert the Date Selection Parameter Calculation to a discrete dimension by right clicking on the field or clicking and dragging it to the dimension area in the data pane. Then, drag the Date Selection Parameter Calculation to the Filters shelf and filter for 1. You could also add this as a Data Source filter instead to increase performance, but you should verify that doing this will not unintentionally affect other filters or worksheets. 

Step 4: Add some Next Level Popping Parameters to the hide the Custom Date parameters on a dashboard when they aren't necessary in order to improve the user experience. 


Step 5:  Verify that the functionality works as expected when published on Tableau Server and displays correctly across all browsers.